There has been a lot of confusion and conflicting information regarding salt consumption in recent years. Salt is vital for healthy bodily functions and has been used for centuries as part of a healthy lifestyle. The problem with salt consumption arises from commercially altered table salt. Sea salt also poses a problem because our oceans and seas, which were once uncontaminated, are now very polluted. Most sea salt now, that is safe for consumption, has been refined, destroying much of the beneficial mineral content.
The Problem With Most Salt
Table salt consists of:
- 97.5% sodium chloride and
- 2.5% additives
It has been chemically altered by a high level of heat for refinement and purification. This refinement destroys trace minerals that would otherwise be found in natural salt. Along with this refinement, other ingredients are added to make the salt easier to pour and not cake up. The problem with these anti-caking ingredients is that they are toxic to our bodies. Considering the amount of salt that most people consume, this seemingly small amount of additives adds up to a lot of damage in a person’s body over time.
Natural sea salt contains many trace elements and minerals. It is better than commercial table salt, but because of polluted waters, it now must be refined to be safe for consumption. There is one natural salt that remains pure and uncontaminated and is a great help to many systems in our body – Himalayan Salt.
What is Himalayan Salt?
Himalayan salt is mined from deep deposits in the Himalayan mountains. It has been virtually untouched by modern industrial toxins and environmental pollution. Its chemical makeup is:
- 85% sodium chloride
- 15% trace elements and minerals the body needs to function properly
In the 1800s, it was discovered, that the people that worked in the Himalayan salt mines had fewer respiratory complaints and were healthier. Further study revealed many health benefits of, not only consuming Himalayan salt, but also breathing the salt. Today there is much evidence and testing to support the health benefits of Himalayan salt, including, but not limited to:
- Promotion of healthy pH balance in cells, especially brain cells, which helps improve concentration
- Promotions of blood sugar health; aids in energy production and weight loss
- Supports respiratory health; helps with sinus and allergy issues
- Reduces signs of aging and aids in hair and nail growth
- Promotion of bone strength and prevention of muscle cramps
- Regulates a healthy sleep pattern
- Promotion of vascular health; used along with water, it helps regulate blood pressure
- Promotion of adrenal function and proper hormone function
Different Methods of Using Himalayan Salt
- Cooking – Once you’ve used Himalayan salt for cooking, don’t be surprised if you love the taste so much that you never want to go back to commercial table salt.
- Bath Salts – Himalayan salt is a wonderful detoxifying agent and works beautifully in the bath to draw toxins out while you relax.
- Lamp – Himalayan salt lamps help to purify the air and are helpful for those with allergies, sinus problems and asthma.
- Salt inhalation spray – Use Himalayan salt as a nasal spray to break up sinus congestion and relieve allergies.
- Salt inhalation pipe – This device uses Himalayan salt crystals inside a ceramic pipe, inhaling through the mouth and exhaling through the nose. It relieves sinus congestion, allergies and is helpful to asthmatics. Some users have reported being able to discontinue pharmaceutical medications for allergies and asthma with regular use of this inhaler.
- Sole – (pronounced So-lay) A mixture of Himalayan salt and purified water that is used daily to restore proper electrolyte balance and promote energy throughout the body.
How to Use Sole
One of my favorite methods of using Himalayan salt, after cooking with it, is to use sole. When Himalayan salt is mixed with water, it receives an electrical charge that is wonderful for the body. To make sole you will need:
- A glass jar (a quart mason jar works well) with a plastic lid. No metal.
- Enough Himalayan salt to fill ¼ of the jar.
- Purified water
1. Fill jar ¼ full of salt.
2. Add purified water almost to top of jar.
3. Cap jar, shake, and leave overnight.
In the morning you should see salt at the bottom of the jar of water. This means that the water is saturated with salt. Each morning, before eating or drinking anything else, take 1 tsp. of sole, add it to a glass of water and drink. This is an energizing, purifying and balancing way to start the day. Whenever the salt water gets low, just add more salt and water. Since Himalayan salt is naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal, the jar of salt water will last indefinitely.